China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jackk said:
This is so obvious.

Everybody can see that there are too many manufacturers in China.

Too many companies is probably good for the customers in the short term but it'll keep profits and most likely quality low and after all the fighting, the weakened but best of these companies will be taken over by much profitable and not necessarily more efficient foreign companies. Companies led by deluded businessmen with strong connections to bankers such as Nanjing Auto should be closed down right away.
What utter tosh! I live in the west and can tell you that the only Chinese car company I would buy from is the well led Nanjing Auto. It now has access to a world class team of western car designers and engineers (including people from LOTUS and ARUP). It makes proper cars using proper robots from a proper western car company (MG Rover). It has the BEST Chinese owned brands (MG and Austin) which are actually known outside China. And I have some comfort in the fact that their models will pass crash worthyness tests!

As for Roewe (made by SAIC) which even the Chinese don't know how to pronounce then I'll wait and see how their cut and shut version of the Rover 75 does in an NCAP test before I judge it. However I won't buy a Roewe when I can get an MG simply because the MG will be worth something when I trade it in...If you ask me Nanjing may have strong connections with banks but banks invest in things they think will suceed (good thing). Now if only a bank was running SAIC. Perhaps then they would have tried to buy all of MGR when they had the chance...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jackk said:
MG as a brand isn't worth much outside of the UK. The old MGs were not known for their reliability and MG didn't see a profit in the US market. When was the last time MG was distributed in the US? What is left of MG's dealership network? They'll have to rebuilt their network and they'll have to give heavy incentives for people to set up dealerships to sell a car that almost 10 years ago wasn't selling well anyway, were known for their erratic quality and of the 3 people I know, who bought MGs just before they stopped selling them have sold them for a Honda Accord Euro, a Golf GTI and a Lexus IS250 because of mechanical and quality problems.

If you think highly about MG... let me guess, you're into your mid 50s, british, drink tea and play cricket!
Actually I'm 29, hate cricket and of mixed race! Frankly I think you are a little ignorant on MG. MG has the worlds largest single fan club! It's well known in the US, so much so that an MGB featured in an episode of Friends. Name one Chinese brand that's better known outside of China than MG? Bet you can't? Nope didn't think so... The original point you made about Nanjing is completley unfounded. Unlike SAIC they have had the brains to spend 50 million pounds on a 4 brands (MG, Austin, Morris and Wolseley), a factory full of robots and they have gained access to the kind of people who once designed Land Rovers. SAIC got some dodgy old blueprints for the same amount. Given this are you sure Nanjing should be closed when clearly SAIC who are supposed to know what they are doing are clearly not competant enough to do deals like this...

As for you arguement about lack of dealers then you will share my delight in knowing that well over 150 former UK dealers have said that they want to start selling new MG's whilst 300 US dealers are already being lined up for US sales! Guess not many dealers in the US think this will work either? By the way how many does Brilliance have in the US? Or Roewe?

As for quality then I'd agree, must do better. But that's not what this arguement was about. It was whether Nanjing should be closed or not. Clearly 450 potential dealers outside China think you are badly wrong! US investors paying Nanjing 2 billion dollars for the right to make some cars in Oklahoma, think you are wrong. Nanjing MG a world class company!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts