China Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do some research. That generation of the Toyota Prado was introduced for the 2003 model year, which means it would have been available some time in 2002, and the design finalized long before that. Gonow as a company was founded in March of 2003. Did you really think Toyota would produce such a blatant copy? Given the Chinese track record for "borrowing" designs, did you not think it was possible it would be the other way around?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
wanna be an SUV maker in China?

As Proximal says, do some research....

Everybody and his brother wants to get a piece of the action in China.

So if you wanna produce SUV's and pickups, here's the formula:

There's an outfit down in Guangdong, Nanhai Fudi, that will provide long, and short, wheelbase bodies that are Isuzu derivatives.

Add a frame and the Toyota 4Y-cloned, 491Q four cylinder engine (also easily acquired from about 2 or 3 Chinese engine makers).

Get a ladder frame locally made and have a distinct nose (like the Prado, or Paladin in the case of the GW Sing) designed by your in-house staff.

These hodgepodge vehicles can be seen all over China but their days are numbered as gas prices increase and competition intensifies....
More importantly these makers are garnering good experience and the fittest will likely survive and contribute their own IPR somewhere someday.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Hazik where are u from??

Toyota Prado is ORIGINAL, the GONO is a copy. :nono:

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL this thread made me laugh. :lol: so.. the prado is a copy of that mounstrosity ??? jajajaja. Really mate, that thing, you know, is the Isuzu vehicle that every other Chinese manufacture use, with a poorly inserted LC Prado Front Fascia, and hey, you guys have not seen the rear end !!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have driven the toyota Prado recently and it is a very competent car off road, and being Toyotashould last for ages:nod:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Toyota copied Gonow...:lol:

Yeah, right... How about Chevrolet/Daewoo copying the Chery QQ?:lol:

Or Mercedes copying the original Geely Merry?:lol:

I think that to many Western manufacturer are copying Chinese Manufacturer!:lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Latin America, both vehicles are sold. The land Cruiser Prado, or Toyota Prado, that was introduced in 2002, and the Landcruiser 90, which is the same vehicle produced in the 80's to mid 90's ( often called Land Cruiser II). Both have different Chassis though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe he meant "toyota-copied Gonow " as in it is copied from toyota, that's the way I understood it, Maybe it's just me being friendly and assuming no-one will make such a wierd comment

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate people who doesn't have there own originality.If they can built a good quality product why they can't exert some time in the drawing board.:nono:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is exactly what I am thinking too. And for electronics knockoffs too, many of the knockoffs one in China have even more hi-tech features than the original itself, that proves that those knockoff manufacturers do have the tech to produce it but why can't they just put on their own logos and have some design for their own products even if it is ugly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree to a certain extent. It is obvious, why Chinese car manufacturers have chosen to make knock - offs:

1. reason: Cars are complex and not easy to build. Hyundai and Proton are classic examples for starting their own car production by rebuilding Mazdas and Mitsubishis. The major difference to Gonow probably is that they were officially allowed to rebuild these cars. They developed their own car body, added their logo, but still used dated platforms. But developing these underpinnings is quite a job. I still remember when Hyundai officially presented their first model, which "shared not a single screw with another car", and that was (to my knowledge) the Elantra. It took them quite a while. I am sure that Gonow will follow these role models (actually, Proton is not a role model, but still), but as if they were yet at the stage of rebuilding well-known cars.
  2. reason: These manufacturers are able to build these rip-offs. It seems to me as if there were a federal protection upon Chinas automotive industry. Honda, Toyota, MB, GM, to name just a few, wanted to sue chinese manufacturers because of copyright violations, but tell me: which of these companies succeeded with their lawsuits? I don´t know anyone.
  3. reason: Cheap "developing" costs. Build one car you like to rebuild, measure it, buy a factory or build one (employing someone, who knows about cars, would help) and rebuild it. As simple as that.

As much as i understand the reasons, why Gonow has chosen to rebuild a foreign car - and Gonow is just one of many examples - as much don´t I understand, why they haven´t even tried to do their own thing.

To me, Toyota doesn´t have to most convincing car design language, even with modern cars like the Auris and i wonder, why Gonow has chosen exactly this model. Just because everyone does in China? As i have tried to argue earlier in this post: It is relatively easy to develope an individual body. At least they could have tried it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts