China Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Memduh Taslicali, Istanbul

zaman.com

As Turkey becomes a base for automotive investments, Turkish companies are seeking to import increasingly popular Chinese cars.

Forty consortiums, including Anadolu, Sanko and Bayraktar, are competing to become the next big distributor of inexpensive Chinese cars ranging from 15,000 to 17,000 YTL (about $11,00).

Turkish firms flocked to the Beijing Auto Show last week to make contacts and negotiate privileges on the sale and after-sale services of Chinese brands.

Executives from Otokoc, a Koc Holding affiliate which sells Ford, Fiat and Alfa Romeo, Temsa, Anadolu Group, Sanko Group, Mermerler Group, Turkey’s largest Ford dealer Sahsuvaroglu, and Opel dealer Gokcenler closely reviewed Chinese innovations at the fair.

Turkish executives were interested in Chinese brands such as Chery, Landwind, Great Wall, Geely, Roewe and DongFeng.

Chinese cars will expectedly meet European standards by 2007 and be marketed in Turkey by early 2008.

The first Turkish company entitled to distribute Chinese cars in Turkey is Mermerler Group. The company, which currently holds the distribution of Mazda, reached an agreement with Chery. Certain models were even exhibited during this year’s Istanbul Auto Show.

The Anadolu Group, which is currently working to build a bus facility in Russia, is also closely interested in Chinese automobiles. Tuncay Ozilhan, who handled the sale of Abank to the Greek Alpha, is seeking now to branch out into the automotive industry.

Kia General Manager Alp Evcimen, who attended the Beijing Auto Show last week, held negotiations with three Chinese brands. The group seeks to import both passenger cars and light commercial vehicles from China.

Ozilhan, who ended his partnership with Honda by selling his shares at a price of $48.5 million during the economic depression, wants to add Chinese vehicles to the existing distribution line comprised of Kia and Lada

·
Registered
627 Posts
did Turkey join the EU, why do they have to meet euro standards before going to turkey if Turkey not in the EU.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Turkey is not yet a member of the EU. However, I believe that they have already adopted EU standards in anticipation of joining the EU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Turkey is a relatively developed country. It's not at the level of Western Europe, but it's certainly well within a 2nd world country or amongst the lower tier of developed countries. If Chinese cars can be successful in Turkey, it would be a good springboard for them to become more competitive in Western markets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And by china allowing partial assembly in turkey it would be produced in the EU for purposes of importation, isn't it?
I have been in east europe on assignment and nations such as poland, russia and ukraine all have need for reliable and affordable vehicles such as the chery. There are also strong educational bonds between china and east block former trading partners. Many highly educated professors in china received degrees in warsaw pact countries.

·
Registered
240 Posts
look at chery.com.tr

hazik said:
I think the chery QQ will by the 1st car in Turkey.
I would say,just have a look at the original internet site of Chery Turkey.
They don't show the Qq in the models section.Probably they won't sell the Qq at all.'Cos The shown models are only Tiggo,A5(Alia),Boss,Queen and Kimo.:nono:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts