China Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would seriously consider changing the name "Gonow". It sounds very tacky and cheesy, especially in the West. It won't be taken seriously by Americans. I think many Chinese companies still have a poor understanding of the Western consumer, hence the many ridiculous English names such as Chery, Geely and Gonow.. etc.

You need something more marketable and catchy. If you need help, I can try some suggestions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But Gonow is a bad use of ENGLISH words. If it was an actual Chinese name that's ok. My problem is when Chinese companies try to use English names and it sounds very bad to the ears of Western consumers.

I think a more masculine and catchy name would help sales.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the name is VERY important. It's not "just a name". Ultimately, a good product will get recognition no matter what. But why make things more difficult by adopting a funny or laughable name?

I mean, Honda and Toyota was once alien to Americans. But as Pyrox said, at least when people heard it, they thought of the car. But Gonow, just sounds very cheesy and not professional at all. It sounds like an immigrant with bad English trying to pick a name, but ends up sounding like a joke. That will make your marketing efforts in the US twice as difficult. I really suggest you change your English name (you dont have to change your Chinese name) at this early stage, so you can make things much easier for yourself in the long run.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He already replied, he said he thought the name was unimportant.

I think that in very established consumer markets like the US, the name is very important, though if your quality is excellent, you will still be successful. But the name will make things easier for you if it is attractive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Please change the name. If you want your company to be successful in the West, your name and brand will give you major problems. Of course, if you have a superior product, you will be successful anyways, but you will have a lot of problems starting up. Why dont you save yourself some problems?

Even your Chinese name Jiao is much better than GONOW, that is a horrible English brand name.

If you need some suggestions, you can ask us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.