China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
It's better than Brillance naming a car the BS6 (BS is short for Bullshit).

Then again, Kia sells fine in the United States (KIA is a US military acronym that stands for Killed In Action; as in "5 US soliders were KIA today in Bagdad").

And GM named an SUV after a blowjob. Sooooo...

· Registered
10 Posts
chinoy54 said:
as a junior member, i don't know if i should even interrupt this most interesting of discussions. but, coming from actual experience w/marketing chinese trucks in a foreign country, in this case the philippines-w/ch is dominated by japanese car brands, & western (american) pop culture, i have to agree w/ those who put a premium on the right-sounding name brand. yuejin, foton, & great wall, brands we represent are easy on the ears, as well as evoke the "chineseness" of the products. we did not have too much negative reactions from the names, although people keep mistaking foton for the malaysian brand proton, & keep asking what yuejin means (leap forward), i think is a loose translation, pls. correct me if i'm wrong here. now, great wall-thats the right name for a chinese brand! i'm surprised that no one has thought of name brands w/ instant recognition as chinese, e.g. yangtze, shaolin, phoenix, red dragon, leaping tiger, etc. etc. its tough enough in this day & age to do battle against the giants of the auto industry to be hampered additionally w/ a name that evokes chuckles and snide remarks.

my two-cents worth.:)
The best Chinese-y name from a Chinese automaker is Great Wall.

Then again, they may want to downplay thier Chineseness. A lot of people in the United States think "cheap plastic crap from Walmart" when they see "Made In China".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.