China Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a similar thread here last 2007 that indicated Chery as the leader and has the best quality, potential and direction to be a major player not only in China but also in the western countries. Right now as predicted Chery overcame the Chevy-Chery fight and is now a major contender in the small car category.

As of 2008 what other China car company can compete or surpass Chery?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me start.

BYD
-i believe BYD can be the next big thing because it has a lot going for him. First of all it has a niche market in Electric Vehicles. Next would be because it has a cheap car that can rival the qq in terms of price and aesthetics...im not sure of the quality though. I believe that China cars should start in the entry level small car category to prove themselves first and this is where BYD is right now.

The design of the BYD cars appeals to the worldwide market..so what if they say the f0 and f3 are copies of the toyota? If Chery made it by copying the Chevy Spark, then all is fair in love and war hehe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Lancer I really hope they will have an all-electric F0 in the future. I didnt mean to say the e6 is an entry level car, what i meant was BYD have a lot going for him.
1. they have an all-electric car that might make the BYD name known worldwide.
2. they have a beautiful small entry level car similar to what Chery has in their QQ.

I believe this is the 1-2 punch of BYD...and though I think they need a couple more punches to make it to the big leagues, I think they are on their way.

Sorry for not making my message clear the first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ash just want to congratulate the admin and all members for such an informative forum...specially for newbies like me.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
71 satellite, I think you are right about BYD being a potential contender for the soon-to-be coveted title.
But they are too inexperienced to have overall quality down pat. And so if they make the mistake of first introducing a conventional internal combustion engine vehicle in the West, the poor quality issue could really damage their reputation.
However, if they are smart, they will first introduce a hybrid, or EV, to the West. The novel nature of that type vehicle can cover a multitude of quality sins in the area of fit and finish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree, dragin. People in the U.S. are looking for EV's, it's a very hot topic right now. They'll be willing to overlook some fit/finish issues at the start

·
Registered
507 Posts
Absolutely. The first Chinese cars to come to U.S. very well should be an all electric car: 4 door compact, range of about 150-200 miles, highway capable, decent design inside and out and good quality, full charge overnight with a regular outlet.

The bar is way too high for regular gas engine cars. It's also much easier to get quality and durability right for pure electric cars since there's no gas engines involved - just an electric motor and a big battery.

Hybrids, on the other hand, can be quite daunting, since it's probably the most complex setup of all car types. Not a good choice as the first Chinese cars to come to the US.

Bring on the electric car! Once that has been properly worked out, then bring on the hybrids (could just be the same electric car with a small gas engine to charge a smaller battery.)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Absolutely...I am feeling stronger than ever that we need an all-electric car for around $16,000-$18,000 for sale in the U.S. I would like a range of at least 200 miles and a top speed of around 85 mph is all that is necessary. Yes, correct, about a 7-10 hour re-charge time at night, with a regular household outlet. I have a carport I would park mine in for re-charging time. Hybrids don't get my motor running, but all-electric's do. Build them and ship them here, with a 8 year, 125,000 mile Warranty, for no extra charge. Top price: I don't want to pay any more than $18,000 for this car. Do you all think that this is asking too much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts