China Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, Chinese cars either copy European or Japanese looks, sometimes an exact copy, sometimes bits and pieces from different models. And more recently, hiring European design houses to come up with designs that look, well, European.

As we all know, every car company from all around the world copy each other, but once they are firmly established, they come up with their own styles. Nowadays, you can pretty much tell what is American, European, and Asian. (or more specifically, British, Italian, German, Japanese, etc.)

So, what should a "Chinese car" look like? How should Chinese cars come up with unique, contemporary, and attractive designs that is "Chinese"? Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
designing the future

Hey RIHC that's one shot of the Meirenbao that i really like. The great and legendary Monkey King in the foreground enhances its sleek lucky red appearance. I do hope that the Chinese incorporate their unique gifts in the cars they eventually build.

Save that picture to show your grandkids when they are driving the kind of car Bringit is talking about.

My guess is that it will be equipped with highly sophisticated safety equipment, will have a green engine under the hood, will have good ergonomics, orthopedically sound seating, lots of headroom, and will be modularized for easy maintenance and repair.

BringIt I'm not so sure about your suggestion that,
"As we all know, every car company from all around the world copy each other, but once they are firmly established, they come up with their own styles."
These photos tend to challenge that.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some styling "similarities" these days are more of a coincidence than copying. But surely some "copying" is still going on - look no further than than the Lexus LS. It used to look like a MBZ, now it looks like a BMW.

As far as the above pic - it's a nice try, but still too "Korean/Japanese". It's too similar to a Tiburon, Celica, or Integra. Besides, it may look okay in the 80's, but not today. (Reduce the ride height - slamming it - goes a long way in making it look better.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am inclined to say that the Chinese style (whatever that will be) should evolve and cultivated over time and not to be fabricated or to be hurried. BMW didn't get its twin kidney trademark overnight. Did they?

·
Registered
49 Posts
renyeo said:
I am inclined to say that the Chinese style (whatever that will be) should evolve and cultivated over time and not to be fabricated or to be hurried. BMW didn't get its twin kidney trademark overnight. Did they?
Actually BMW did develop the kidney grill pretty quickly. The kidney grill started with the 1933 BMW 303, the first BMW that wasn't based on an Austin 7. The first "true" BMW car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts