China Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think nobody have a Gelly CK and don't drive one.
Everyone you just look at the pictures and that's it???

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You are right Maybe......we should all stop living in la la (forum) land and get a real life.

Anyway it looks like we've got a lot of Chery drivers in our midst, but no Geely drivers, who could tell us about the viability, or reliability, of that model.

Now if we could just find a nice talkative CK taxicab driver somewhere we'd have the key......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok,it's a new car on the market and i just want to know if is someone on this forum who now more about this car .I'm not so agressiv how do you think.
I drive an Ck and it have some problems that's whay i want to know an second trought. Thanks!!:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Planning to Buy Geely - Need opinion (specially from the owners)

Geely has recently introduced their CK 1.3L model in Pakistan and they are offering it for $11,500. Now i need your unbiased opinion and suggestion whether I shall go for this car or not?

Other choices i have are the following cars. All are assembled in Pakistan

1) Brand new Suzuki Cultus
2) 2005-2006 Honda City 1300cc
3) 2003-2004 Toyota Corolla 1300cc

I would request the Geely owners to specially let me know the difficulties they are facing, and whether they recommend me to buy it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
No comparison.................

OK, first I will assume that when you say all the other cars (the japanese ones you listed) are assembled in Pakistan, you are talking about CKD kits, right? I think the Geely is also a CKD kit...........based on this the decision is easy. ANY of the japanese cars will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Geely.

Geely's advantage (if you want to call it that) in China is simple......they can sell their cars CHEAP (MUCH cheaper than most of the competition around them). Now.........Geely isn't a bad car (and their overall quality HAD improved a lot over the last several years), but once they start exporting cars to other countries, they start to lose their price advantage. Personally, if I could buy a 1 year old Honda City for the same price as a new Geely CK, I would take the Honda (assuming of course it was maintained properly by the previous owner). Geely is still fighting a uphill battle in China regarding the quality of it's products..........a bad reputation can stick with a company like glue for YEARS (it took Hyundai over ten years to turn it's image around in the USA as a result of the Excel). It's going to be a few more years before Geely PROVES their products aren't just inexpensive, but RELIABLE. Honda already enjoys the highest reputation regarding it's cars (as does Toyota and to a lesser degree Suzuki)...........it's easy to simply TRUST a Honda once you own and experience one. The peace of mind in knowing that you can pretty much get in that car anytime, start it up and go where you need to go.......that's a good feeling to have. Granted, I have never owned a Geely - but I simply am not ready to trust them yet............ESPECIALLY if I can buy a quality japanese car (even a 1 year old second hand one) for the same price. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with you jmsteiny...

As far as the japanese car are concerned, only the Engine and some others parts are from Japan. All other things are local made. As far as Geely is concerned, its i think is CKD as it is imported from China.

I agree the peace of mind will be with the City but there are few reason why i want to look for something else rather than buying the japanese cars.

1) The featuer Geely CK 1.3L are really awsome. No other car offer mentioned above offer these features.Well i pray that all the features mentioned in CK 1.3 works also.

2) Suzuki Cultus is hatch back and I want a sedan
3) Honda city shape is really bad. I dont like it at all
4) No power windows, alloy rims etc in Toyota Corolla. Just simple basic car

So cutting it short, none the japanese cars offered in Pakistan are value for money and their build quality is also not that good. Its only the engine which is reliable. As I heard that Geely's CK 1.3 Engine is based on Toyota Corolla's engine, so i think its the same.

What i am worry is the build quality. Is it true that the Geely wont last for more than 2-3 years, or after 2-3 years it will look like 15 years old car (as i read it somewhere). You people might have been seeing a lot of Geely CK in china. So are they look good?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hard to tell.................

Sarmad, I wish I could tell you that the Geely CK will last longer than 2-3 years........but the truth is I just don't know. There has been a real tendency to "bash" chinese cars and label them as bad cars (horrible quality, no reliability, etc.) - but most people seem to forget something. Up until recently, the only way to investigate whether chinese cars were any good was to go to China and talk with chinese drivers (or drive a chinese car). Why is this important??? Well, ALSO up until recently, MOST chinese drivers knew very little about their car from a mechanical standpoint. Most drivers would not be able to tell you what worn down brake pads smell (or sound) like, let alone the distinctive noise of a worn CV joint. Drivers training courses here are VERY antiquated (they still use old diesel mini pickup trucks, and you're taught to shift all the way into 5th gear by the time you reach 40km/h - you can fail your driving test if you don't do this), and it's VERY common to ride in a taxi with the driver lugging his car around the city in 5th gear traveling at 30-40 km/h in speed...........talk about treating the engine BAD. My point of all this??? Are chinese cars REALLY that bad, or is it the drivers that ABUSE the car???? Little things like REGULAR oil changes (a MUST with a small engine due to the higher RPM's involved), proper tire inflation, good driving habits, etc....these are concepts that are second nature for most of us - but for drivers in China most of these things simply aren't even taught. I am not joking when I tell you that some drivers here that I've talked to didn't even know that you have to put engine OIL in the car!! All they did was go to the gas station to fill up their tanks.........and that is unfortunately all too common amongst drivers. Remember, China's car culture is still VERY new - it's not like the USA (or many western countries) where generations of kids grew up watching dad or the older brother working on their cars. Many people who buy their first car here have NEVER opened the engine hood of a car before........let alone understand the importance of proper and timely maintinance.

I understand that the Geely CK offers more than it's competitors does for the same price........it IS quite possible that with proper care and maintinance the CK could end up being a VERY reliable car (Geely isn't in the busiiness of building a UNRELIABLE car, after all). Granted, it's a risk - I hope that other members here that might actually own a Geely will speak up as well. One last thing.............I assume that Geely DOES offer a warranty with the CK, right? How long is the warranty for? What about replacement parts? Does the dealer have a full repair facility in case of any problems?? What about other Geelys on the streets where you live - any good/bad news about them? Do they appear to be "holding up" well?

Good luck, Sarmad - and DO keep us posted here........I know I'm interested to find out what you end up choosing!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I don't know much, but Geely's reputation here in Egypt is terrible, although most Geely's on the streets are HQ, they came to Egypt in 2003, all these cars look as if they were falling apart, I see very few CK's, they look in a decent condition, that's all I can tell you from my personal point of view...

I totally support buying a used trusted brand over buying a still new with bad reputation one, go for the Toyota, even if it was basic, it'll still be trustworthy, you can add these features later on, and they are not deal breaking features to make you drop it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks once again for the reply

Unofortunatly people have the mentality to assosiate chinese products with bad quality. We all know that china make products for different ranges. You can buy a chinese walk man from US$3 to $50. And there will be definatly a difference of quality between the two.

So what i wan to say that all chinese products are not bad, as people comment. All the comments i heard so far who don't own a Geely or even dont own or driven a Chinese car. The sole reason for such discourging comments is because Geely is a chinese car, which is very unfortunate.

I am pretty determined in buying Geely but almost 98% people around me told me not to go for Geely. But i believe in risk and reward and planning to take the risk. I am sure if it become successful, you will find Pakistani roads full of Geely.

The Geely has introduced only one model i.e CK 1.3 in Pakistan only about a month back. So there are no Geelys on the road yet. Secondly till now they have opened their 3S dealers in Lahore and Karachi while i live in Islamabad which is about 400km from the nearest lahore. They are plannning to open the dealership in Islamabad within a month or so. They are offereing 2 years or 50,000km warranty.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not saying that because Geely is a Chinese car, we have other Chinese cars in Egypt, Chery is VERY respected here in Egypt, Geely isn't...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fawzzy, i am not pointing at you. I am talking generally.
In Egypt, i believe you have many choices but beleive me here in Pakistan, we are getting crap from Japanese assembler.

The Toyota i am telling come without the following features.
1) powerwindows
2) ABS,
3) Airbags,
4) Available in only 2 colors (Black & White),
5) 2 speakers,
6) No radial tyres etc etc.
You can simply say that they have made the body, put the seats and engine in it and thats all. The car is ready for sale.

So given these circumstances, i think Geely can be given a shot. I hope it will prove better then the HQ's you have there in Egypt.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This thread is typical of any decision between an established product versus a new entry. In this case, cars.

A used Japanese car versus a brand new Chinese car?!? This debate will go on forever.

The more adventurous types would go for the new, the more conservative types would probably take the used.

I would, without a doubt, buy the Geely CK. The feeling of owning a brand new car is unbeatable. Used cars are disgusting; plus, you NEVER know WHY they decide to sell the cars. Buy used ONLY if it's the only option and you are desperate. Besides, new cars have warranties, used cars do not.

Surely there will be problems - but what makes you think the used Japanese cars are going to be trouble free? I've owned various Japanese cars and believe me, they had their share of problems - though less than American or European cars.

Take great care of the Geely CK, get regular checkups and maintenance AHEAD of schedule, fix any minor problems as soon as you find them, and you should be just fine. Do come back regularly and update us!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
The best advice...........

Sarmad, what BringIt just posted here is the BEST advice for you so far in this thread!! I also admire you for "taking the risk", so to speak in buying the Geely. I think BringIt is absoultely right - take good care of it, do regular maintinance and I think you'll have a pretty decent car!! I had NO idea that Toyota sells such a "bare bones" model as far as the Corolla is concerned.....even our base model in China has power windows!! It appears as though the japanese car companies have gotten a bit greedy in Pakistan.....with little or no competition the japanese companies have decided to sell stripped down models and sell at inflated prices.........Sarmad, go get that Geely and show those japanese companies that there is a "new kid in town"!!!:thumb: I was "lucky" with my japanese cars in the USA, and I know what BringIt is talking about regarding the feeling of new car.....it's yours from the beginning!! Here's a good example of how a percieved "bad" car can be a really good one - I bought my first new car in late 1987...a brand new 1988 Hyundai Excel, loaded with all the options. There were already stories in all the magazines about how the Excel was not a very good car, ownership problems, etc...I still took a "risk" because the Excel offered MORE features and options for the same price as a late model used japanese car. A good friend of mine said almost EXACTLY the same thing to me as BringIt is saying right now - so I followed my friend's advice. Guess what?? I never had any major problems with the Excel (some minor plastic trim problems in the interior that would keep falling off - but the dealer was happy to replace them free), it was comfortable and reliable the entire time I owned it (over 3 years until I sold it).....and I sold it not because of any problems but because I was moving and I wanted something more "utilitarian" that I could beat up and ding a bit throughout the moving process.

The point of my constant rambling?? I took the same "risk" that you're preparing to take.....and I'm glad I did. I loved having a new car (A GREAT feeling, BringIt is right) and I ENJOYED taking care of it because it WAS new!! Enjoy that new Geely, Sarmad - take good care of it and keep us posted, ok???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Bringit and jmsteiny for your support. Now i will definatly buy a Geely.
Just waiting for their showroom to open in Islamabad. If it opens within a week, i will buy it otherwise I am going out for an assignment and will be back after about a month.

But whenever it will be, i will definatly buy Geely and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been to China a number of times in the recent years, and seen many taxi's, buses and private passenger cars from the inside. Many cars in China are in terrible condition, especially those used as a taxi or bus. On the other hand, some privately owned cars are in good condition. The difference is that people who have saved many years for buying their car treat it with respect and care for it.
Taxi's and buses are neglected, noone cares for them. Maintenance seems to be very rare, and mechanics work very sloppy (i've seen too many cars with the steering wheel offcenter). If you only drive these cars you get the idea the quality is very bad.

Same goes for the motorcycles, although in general most chinese treat their motorbikes and scooters very bad so after 1 year they almost fall apart. If you care for it this won't happen.

So it's basically up to you, the owner. Be nice to your car :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
mememe said:
Why don't you buy a chery. I heard that chery is REALLY respected and welcomed in pakistan, especially chery QQ.
Cherry is only offering QQ which is a very small car and doesn't meet my requirments. QQ was introduced more than a year ago i think. Cherry is not offering any other car here. The price of QQ is about US $7,500.

Similarly Geely is only offering CK at the moment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oo4load said:
I have been to China a number of times in the recent years, and seen many taxi's, buses and private passenger cars from the inside. Many cars in China are in terrible condition, especially those used as a taxi or bus. On the other hand, some privately owned cars are in good condition. The difference is that people who have saved many years for buying their car treat it with respect and care for it.
Taxi's and buses are neglected, noone cares for them. Maintenance seems to be very rare, and mechanics work very sloppy (i've seen too many cars with the steering wheel offcenter). If you only drive these cars you get the idea the quality is very bad.

Same goes for the motorcycles, although in general most chinese treat their motorbikes and scooters very bad so after 1 year they almost fall apart. If you care for it this won't happen.

So it's basically up to you, the owner. Be nice to your car :)
You are right. As jmsteiny said in the post above that there is a lack of awareness in china about keeping the car, and most of the people dont know exactly how to maintain a car.

I am pretty confident that Geely will not perform bad as most of the people think. And i can assure all of you people that if Geely suceeded to build the confidence of the consumers here in Pakistan, within a year, you will see a lot of Geelys on the road. People are here hungry for good featured car in decent price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys there are 2 bad news.

1) I saw this Advertisment in Paper today, and as you can see, their introductory prices are till July 7 and after that they will increase their prices.

2) There is no showroom in Islamabad and there might not be any showroom in future :(
Although they are ready to deliver the car in Islamabad but it will be really unwise to have a car in Islamabad with nearset dealer/spareparts available at a distance of 400km.

I am seeing my Geely dreams sinking :(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts