China Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
it's hard to tell... i don't have advanced knowledge of the Chinese companies or the quality of their cars.

i'm sure if i could look at the cars and drive them, i could pick 5 cars that have the greatest chance at coming to the US.

unless you want me to base it on pictures. ^_^

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'll tell you one Chinese car that definitely should come to the U.S. The BYD e6 all-electric car. I'm waiting for it, for one.

And I am loving this picture of my model, make, year and color 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS! I love my car!

·
Registered
305 Posts
OK, I'll give this a try.................

First of all, I do not think that any "clones" (virtual copies of other companies cars - i.e. the BYD F3 and F0, Chery QQ, etc.) will make it to american shores - too many copyright issues to deal with. Second, with the troubles that american car companies are having right now (they are collectively asking for a 34 BILLION dollar bailout right now from the american government) , I believe it is likely that the first cars coming from China to the USA will be "smaller" cars - under 2.0l in engine size. It would be the smartest move, considering the new american attitude for smaller, more fuel efficient cars. Granted, there isn't much profit with small car sales - but it would allow the chinese companies to establish themselves in the USA (much like Honda did in the early 70's with the Honda 600 and the first Civic) and the diversify from there. With that said, here is my list (in no particular order):

1) - Chery A1/A1 hybrid - Remember, this car was supposed to be the first car to be introduced to the western market by the Chery/Dodge co-op venture? I don't know what's happening with that, but the A1 is still a good little car - and I'm sure there has already been development/consideration for american crash standards. The hybrid in particular (whenever it finally gets produced) is reputed to get great gas mileage - 4.0l for every 100km.....almost SIXTY miles to the gallon. That fact alone could be very attractive to potential american buyers.

2) - Brilliance FRV - An attractive, well built car (I just test drove one recently, the 1.6l with the 5 speed manual transmission....it drives GREAT - very peppy engine, solid gearbox, comfortable - a REAL pleasant surprise). Brilliance is already establishing a foothold in Europe, and the FRV would be a good fit for the USA. An AMAZING amount of room - especially in the rear seats - good for the larger american physical stature!! Brilliance has already stated it's desire to enter the american market, and I think the FRV would be a great way to introduce themselves.

3) - Geely CE - Yes, I know it is still in the "concept" stage - but the pictures I've seen look pretty refined for a concept model.....more like a pre-production car. It's a great example of the "new" Geely - gone are the days of the dumpy little Haoqing. Geely still needs to shed it's image as a low quality, unreliable auto company - but they're moving in the right direction with new cars like the King Kong hatchback - a decent car that drives SURPRISINGLY well. The CE is attractive, small and most likely fuel efficient - exactly what the american consumer wants right now.

4) - Changan V101 - I'm stretching a bit on this one, seeing as Changan hasn't expressed a strong desire to enter the american market. Nevertheless, this is a nice little car. In the pics I've seen, it's available with a manual OR automatic transmission - something the Chery A1 doesn't even have yet - and the A1 has been on the market for over a year now! If Changan has any desire to sell cars in America, this could be the right car to do it with.

5) - SAIC Roewe 550 - Is this really a "chinese" car? I'll let others argue that one - nevertheless, it's one of the most attractive cars (maybe the MOST attractive) built and produced by a chinese car company right now. Much more "upscale" than the previous models I listed, and a nice option for those american buyers that want something a little bigger and more luxurious - WITHOUT having to pay too much for it. A 1.8l engine (normal or turbocharged), GREAT styling and build quality. It would fit right in on american roads, and I could see people constantly asking "this is a CHINESE car?? Really??"

You'll notice I listed no hybrids (with the exception of the potential Chery A1 hybrid), because in reality there is NO hybrid built by China that is ready to enter the american market. I know........you're saying "wait a minute - what about the F3DM? F6DM? The upcoming F0DM?" The BYD F3 and F0 are clones - it would never make it to America. The Geely FC-E is a low speed electric car - too slow for most american roads. The BYD E6 is a possibility, but it's not even on the market yet. BYD DOES have the potential to make a major impact with the hybrid/electric market, but they need to get away from being the king of clones and start creating their own designs.

OK, that's my list. Remember, these are just informed "guesses" on my part.........but I think they are decent guesses. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
well it looks to me that you know what you are talking about. there is a high chance that some of those could make it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The HQD in the banner up top. GREAT looking car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts