China Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this pic of an old chinese car in the internet. It looks like something from the 1970's. Any idea what car is this?

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Although history is not my domain, I'll try. What I found is that there used to be a unit known as "Guangzhou Car Repair Shop" (广州小汽车修理厂) which was designated as a repair shop for the local and imported vehicles in the area. In the 1970s, they used to make a copy of the BJ210 (predecessor of the BJ212) called GuangJi. Using that chassis and mechanicals as the base, in 1975-76, two units of these sedan cars were built, the body panels being made by hand. Design was apparently influenced by the current Toyota Crown and Volga, and known simply as Guangzhou sedan (jiaoche). They however concentrated on production of their jeep which continued for a while.

Sources:
http://www.autoworld.com.cn/yuandi/luntan/shishi/zzhpp.htm
http://www.autoworld.com.cn/sm/wzhan/xinnian.htm

Another pic:
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Now, over to Erik for any additional info !

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
@PGMJ - Erik did provide the model number which I could not find, so he is still not THAT ripe for retirement yet :).

I feel since you are greatly interested in these early Chinese vehicles, you can get in touch with Erik since he has a vast collection of documents relating to that era.

If I remember correctly, several months ago it was mentioned either here or on Tycho's blog that Erik was compiling a book about 70's era cars, or maybe it was some other book, and I am mistaken.

@Erik - you flatter me. I'm blushing! Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the info, Dmitra and Erik. In fact this car seems to be a mix of the russian GAZ M-24 Volga and contemporary japanese sedans (Toyota Crown or Nissan Cedric, for example).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
No no that's a misunderstanding: GZ210 is the twin model of the BJ210 cross country jeep. This sedan was (when a code was used) GZ750 or GZ760.
The book is about the unknown cars of the 1990s, not seventies. And it is progressing.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Erik, thanks for the clarification.

I was wondering to myself why the car would get a "2" number when sedans were usually "7", but thought perhaps it might have been because principally it was a jeep underneath.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Yes, noticed some of the differences -wheel arch, window frames, windshield, the front clip metal surround, for example -- expected, as they were hand-built and using whatever material they could lay their hands on.

Both the Chinese articles I quoted do mention "two" being made:

"在1975年-1976年期间,当时的广州小汽车修理厂设计并生产出两辆广州牌轿车"

"随后在1975年-1976年期间,还利用BJ210底盘,学习当时皇冠的模样,造出了两辆“广州”牌轿车,这两辆车全部是用锤子敲打出来的."

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A pic from an unknown car found on the web. It seems something from the 1980's or 1990's. Any idea what car is this? Eric? Dmitra?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
A pic from an unknown car found on the web. It seems something from the 1980's or 1990's. Any idea what car is this? Eric? Dmitra?

View attachment 24385
I think that picture is from Erik's web page for his book "MADE IN CHINA. LOST SMALL CARS OF THE 1990s." and it also appears on the book's cover page. It is a fascinating book and if you can spare EUR 59, you should buy it :)

Coming to your question, and to get you further interested, this is one of the versions of a car made by the People´s Liberation Army No. 5408 Works, badged LINGKONG KJ6380/TIANMA KJ5010 (not to be confused with later SUV Tianmas). There were a few visually different versions and bodystyles but all loosely based on the Charade.

The above info is from Erik's book. I hope Erik won't mind the little info I divulged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts