China Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It is the Jinggangshan 2-door prototype at its introduction day, June 20, 1958. The car was made by Beijing Auto Works and was based on a VW Beetle platform. Also the (rear) engine was a VW copy. This prototype is still existing and was in factory hands, but it is recently sold to an unknown private car collector. I was happy to see the prototype in 1998, at the factory.
Beijing Auto made a four-door production model, 154 were made from 1959-1968. I don't think that there is one left.
You can find the car in my book "Cars and 4x4s from Beijing and Tianjin".
Greetings!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This is easy, PMGJ.
The first car is the Dongfanghong BJ760. Based on the contemporary Volga M21, with a copy of the Wolga 2445cc engine (the same as in the Beijing BJ212), the car was introduced at April 1, 1960. Your photo is taken on Tian'anmen, the national square in Beijing. 239 units were made between 1960 and 1969. We thought all cars were lost, but Mr. Luo Wenyou found one back and has it exhibited in his museum; see http://www.chinesecars.net/index.php?page=60.
The second car is the Beijing CB4 (both cars are made by the Beijing Auto Works), the second version. This model appeared in 1959. Only 22 were made between 1959-1962. One can be found in the FAW collection, but is not exposed. The collection is now totally closed for public, only about 10 cars are on display in a kind of Hall of Fame. The CB4 is not included.
This picture is also taken on Tian'anmen, in the background the Great Hall of the People. I don't stop saying it, you can find all these cars back in my book "Cars and 4x4s from Beijing and Tianjin".
Greetings,

About Dongfanghong:
http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/05/04/history-the-dongfanghong-cars-from-china/
http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/05...anghong-yituo-cars-copies-of-the-fso-polonez/

Yituo LT5022

Yituo LT 5021, the wagon-version of the LT 5022

Dongfanghong LT6390

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This is the first prototype of the Hongqi (Red Flag), introduced on August 2nd, 1958. This six-seater was strongly influenced by the 1955 Chrysler Imperial C69. Only one car was made, completely by hand. The license registration was "2*4211 test". The grill was inspired by a Chinese fan, the rear lights by Chinese lanterns.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Both cars are made by the Shanghai Auto Works. The first one is the Shanghai SH771, a car I like very much. Its bodywork was based on the contemporary Mercedes W116, while the V8 engine was 'borrowed' from the Hongqi. About 30 cars were made from 1974 to 1978. One of the cars (the only one left as far as I know) is exhibited in the headquarters of SAIC in Shanghai. It is a pity this 533 cm long car was never mass produced.
The second one is one of the proposed successors of the Shanghai SH760. This car was named Shanghai SH761S and it was developed by the Shanghai Automotive Research Institute. Only one prototype was made in 1967, it was powered by the same engine as the SH760.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hello PGMJ, it is a never produced prototype named Jiefang CA140, a proposed successor for the Jiefang CA10 range, made by FAW (First Auto Works). The CA140 prototypes were the basis for the latter EQ140 trucks of the Second Auto Works (nowadays Dongfeng).

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
At PGMJ: yes, this is the SH771 at the SAIC exhibition, Weihai Road 489 in Shanghai.
About the SH761S, I have new information that there has been a second prototype, designed from 1975-1977 by mr. Zhong Boguang. This model had a Wankel engine and was named SH750. To be exactly: the SH750 was from 1977 and the SH761S from 1980. Technically it is possible that it was the same car (though the colors are different) and that the changed the engine. The date 1967 is incorrect (so you were right with your surprise, PGMJ!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts