China Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Once again two more old and unidentified cars. I believe are prototypes of the 1970's. I found these pics lately while I made searches about SAIC. What are they? When were they produced?

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Both cars are made by the Shanghai Auto Works. The first one is the Shanghai SH771, a car I like very much. Its bodywork was based on the contemporary Mercedes W116, while the V8 engine was 'borrowed' from the Hongqi. About 30 cars were made from 1974 to 1978. One of the cars (the only one left as far as I know) is exhibited in the headquarters of SAIC in Shanghai. It is a pity this 533 cm long car was never mass produced.
The second one is one of the proposed successors of the Shanghai SH760. This car was named Shanghai SH761S and it was developed by the Shanghai Automotive Research Institute. Only one prototype was made in 1967, it was powered by the same engine as the SH760.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks a lot, Erik. Indeed Shanghai SH771 seems to be a very nice car. About the SH761S I was surprised to know it's from 1967, it has quite a modern design.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hello PGMJ, it is a never produced prototype named Jiefang CA140, a proposed successor for the Jiefang CA10 range, made by FAW (First Auto Works). The CA140 prototypes were the basis for the latter EQ140 trucks of the Second Auto Works (nowadays Dongfeng).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just posting a larger pic of the nice Shanghai SH771. Guess that's the only surviving one Erik referred on message #22.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
At PGMJ: yes, this is the SH771 at the SAIC exhibition, Weihai Road 489 in Shanghai.
About the SH761S, I have new information that there has been a second prototype, designed from 1975-1977 by mr. Zhong Boguang. This model had a Wankel engine and was named SH750. To be exactly: the SH750 was from 1977 and the SH761S from 1980. Technically it is possible that it was the same car (though the colors are different) and that the changed the engine. The date 1967 is incorrect (so you were right with your surprise, PGMJ!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Article about San Xing at China Car Times

Last week I was in Nanjing, it was 41 degrees, the sun was raining its ultra violet rays down on my follicly challenged head and making my face slowly turn red. I jumped in my car and headed off to an exhibition, but on the way there I spotted a Chrysler Voyager that wasn’t a Chrysler Voyager. What was this strange beast?

According to Erik, who is a fountain of knowledge on all Chinese made automobiles this beast is a San Xing Voyager. San Xing were (note the past tense here) a state owned car manufacturer in ZhanJiang city, Guangdong Province. Back in the 1990′s the US Dollar was at its highest point against the RMB, American cars were considered treasured machines by up and coming Chinese businessmen who wanted a car that could show their new found wealth, back then there wasn’t much on the roads aside from first generation VW Santana’s and old Shanghai and Hong Qi vehicles that were more reminiscent of the 60′s than the 90′s.

San Xing saw an opportunity, although they were a state owned company they saw a legal gray hole in Chinese import law that allowed companies to import car parts for substantially less than full cars, and as such they gave Chrysler a call demanding cars with no wheels. Chrysler didn’t hesitate and gladly supplied San Xing with Chrysler Voyagers, sans wheels, that were imported as CKD (complete knock down vehicles) vehicles only to be re-assembled in China with a different badge. Mitsubishi later deployed the Space Wagon and also the Rosa mid size bus to San Xing, Honda also sent the Odyssey to China, Dodge sent its MPV series too.

San Xing was not in the auto making business too long, as big name car brands such as Mitsubishi and Chrysler moved to investing in their own JV’s in the Chinese market, the supply of cars to San Xing slowly dried up. It’s not entirely clear what happened to San Xing as a car maker, the below pictures indicate that San Xing Automobiles is certainly dead, the factory is returning to nature, which is unusual in the fast pace world of Southern Real Estate where land is at a premium regardless of its previous use. San Xing traded under the name of 3-Star Motor Company, not a fantastic name if you are going to export cars (not that San Xing ever did – that we know of), especially as 3-Star is synonymous with mediocre hotels, why not use 5-Star like your national flag?

at carnewschina.com:
http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/03/20/spotted-in-china-the-sanxing-g-star-chrysler-voyager/
http://www.carnewschina.com/2016/12/15/the-story-of-sanxing-part-1-history-background/

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Sanxing 3-Star Truck (not Beijing Sanxing) was imported to Argentina in the late '90s (probably 1995 - 1997).
Ah, and a question: The Beijing Sanxing BSX6472 was based on the Nissan Patrol 160?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts