China Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Ford bought the name right on "Rover", what happens to the brand "MG"? Once I have heared that TVR is interessted. Does anybody know more?

David

·
Registered
101 Posts
A while back, Nanjing purchased the MG name along with the rights to the Rover car lineup and its engine designs. The TVR offer lost out to Nanjing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
A while back, Nanjing purchased the MG name along with the rights to the Rover car lineup and its engine designs.
The deal includes MG brands and plant equipment, but not Rover25 and 75. It's not like Chinese cares about the IP rights of another, even if that is another Chinese company....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
The deal includes MG brands and plant equipment, but not Rover25 and 75. It's not like Chinese cares about the IP rights of another, even if that is another Chinese company....
Actually, it does include the 75 and 25/45. But for some odd reason, SAIC also has the rights to the 75.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Rover 75 and its MG derivative : Owned by SAIC
Rover 45 and its MG derivative : A Honda Civic. Owned by Honda.
Rover 25 and its MG derivative : Owned by SAIC
K-series Engine IP : Owned by SAIC

What Nanjing legally bought : MG & Austin Healy Brand, MG ZF, and Long Bridge plant machinery.

What Nanjing is legally entitled to do : Bring out totally new cars wearing MG brands.

What Nanjing is not legally entitled to do : Bring out former rebadged Rover sedans.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:

What Nanjing legally bought : MG & Austin Healy Brand, MG ZF, and Long Bridge plant machinery.

What Nanjing is legally entitled to do : Bring out totally new cars wearing MG brands.

What Nanjing is not legally entitled to do : Bring out former rebadged Rover sedans.
You have said all that before Real_I_Hate_China and you failed to provide your sources last time. Unless you can provide some evidence to support what you are claiming then you should not post it as though it was fact.

Nobody appears to agree with you, Nanjing, SAIC, MG-Rovers administrators, the UK goverment reports on the colapse of MG-Rover etc. etc.

As far as I can work out the only thing you are correct about is that some of the Rover 45 IP is owned by Honda but since Nanjing don't appear to be going to use it. that shouldn't be a problem!

PS. If you knew what you were talking about then you would know that the MG roadster is called the MG TF, not ZF as you said :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:

According to MG Rover (and by their silence, Honda), the Rover 25/MG ZR and Rover 45/MG ZS evolved significantly enough away from the Civic that they were wholly owned products of MG Rover. And Nanjing will put them back into production sometime in the 2008-2009 timeframe under the MG brand. The MG TF will also return to production on Nanjing's control. Additionally, the MG ZT (aka Rover 75) will enter production under Nanjing's direction in 2007.

I highly doubt that Nanjing has acquired the "Austin-Healey" nameplate since not even BMW owned that. "Healey" is controlled by the Healey family, even in "Austin-Healey" guise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts