China Car Forums banner

What is this???

16K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  subhamsinghh48 
Thanks Fernandez., now I can se them.
The last one is indeed a Zhonghua Soloman CHB6401TA made by the Beijing Zhonghua Automobile Industry Company, the Soloman MPV was made from 1994 till late 2000. In the last years there were some updates, especially of the front end, and this is one of them. You can find all these vehicles in my photo documentary "Made in China. Lost small cars of the 1990s" (including the Liming models from Yizheng mentioned above by DMitra). See http://www.chinesecars.net/content/made-china-lost-small-cars-1990s-0

Hello PGMJ, it is one of the two cars which are made long ago in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province. The car was called Xiwu and made in 1959. That is all I know. The other car was called Qiantangjiang JT760 and made by the Hangzhou Auto Works in 1970. This second model was a typical square product of cars made during the Cultural Revolution. I have inserted these cars from Zhejiang, together with the Dengta N-101 from Ningbo (October 1958), in my Shanghai book (http://www.chinesecars.net/content/shanghai-saloons-artisan-era) as they are from a neighbouring province. There are also some cars from Jiangsu province in this book.

First picture: Yemingzhu CNG (1997) equipped with home made CNG engine. One unit remained (the blue one from the picture) and is exhibited in the Chengdu Industrial Civilization Museum.
Second picture: Yemingzhu based on the YMX1010 pickup. See my history document: "Made in China. Lost small cars of the 1990s" (http://www.chinesecars.net/content/made-china-lost-small-cars-1990s-0)

Your friend is right, it is the Jiangbei JJ710, a prototype developed in June 1986. It never came into production. Jiangbei produced another car in stead, the Shenjian (or Meilu) JJ720 based on the contemporary Subaru Rex (or Jumbo). As you probably have guessed, you can find all the cars made by Jiangbei at that time in my 1990s small car document.
(technically it is possible that the car on the photo is not a Jiangbei product, but just a re-badged Fiat 126P).

I had a discussion with Tycho about the local production at the GPAC factory in Guangzhou of the models Peugeot 405 and 605. This production is never registered or known, it was forbidden by the central government. Tycho has found strong indications that the 405 was locally assembled, at a least a batch of them, and he has even prove that the 605 was locally assembled (car with a GPAC dataplate).

You have forgotten the 504 Familiale, the production in Guangzhou started with that car. I really don't know if they got the pre-assembled cars from Argentina. I know that the first cars were made with French parts. But may be later they changed? An Argentinian connection can also explain the 405 skd-production, but that is pure speculation. If you really want to know the best way is to ask the Argentinian Saval factory, when they exist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.