China Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hard to tell. But based on my observations, cars with carb has the round type air filter and fuel injection has the rectangle type. This engine looks like a carb with the round air filter on top of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The shape of the air cleaner has little to do with whether the car is carbureted or fuel injected. I would need a closer view of the engine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hudson said:
The shape of the air cleaner has little to do with whether the car is carbureted or fuel injected. I would need a closer view of the engine.
In theory yes, but in practice most carb cars produced throughout 70s and 80s had downdraught carbs with a round filter on top, whereas most efi cars have a throttle body feeding into a long plenum parallel with the engine which has fairly long port runners going to each cylinder, consequently don't tend to have that circular air filter pan on top.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks Dennis. I was wondering what all that extra plumbing and stuff was around that left hand strut tower. In any case the engine does seem like old technology with an ignition distributor and no exhaust heat shielding.
It's too bad we can't zoom in on the firewall mounted VIN plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts