China Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what percentage of cars in China are automatic transmission? I seen in many of the new cars displayed at the Beijing autoshow that many of the cars were automatic transmission. Does this indicate that China is to become a nation of automatic drivers such as the USA and Japan?

These are rough figures for the percentage of cars which are automatic transmission in some countries.
UK - 14%
EU Average - 10%
Japan - 95%
North America - 90%

I would be grateful if someone could provide figures for other nations around the world as well as China such as South Korea, India, Australia/NZ, Singapore and Latin America! Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
pretty high

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Technology takes time

Overall I believe the numbers are still quite low.

Among mechanicals, automatic transmission technology is the last technology to be grasped by a developing country's automakers. It's very costly.

But Geely, with its recent recruitment of foreign talent, seems to be making headway in this area and I'm sure Chery is doing the same.

In the meantime outside investors, the global giants Getrag, Borg Warner, Aisin Warner, JATCO (for Chery), Antonov (for Changcheng), etc. will continue to be the suppliers.

ION of Australia has also gotten into the act.

·
Registered
325 Posts
dragin said:
Overall I believe the numbers are still quite low.
Are you sure? Some companies are pushing their automatics, especially models that aimed at women, even cheaper than stick/manual shift!

I think the Peugeot 206 is a prime example. How many are those are Chinese roads now, must be thousands. Theres a good half dozen parked outside my apartment - housewife wagons they are.

·
Registered
198 Posts
chinacartimes said:
Are you sure? Some companies are pushing their automatics, especially models that aimed at women, even cheaper than stick/manual shift!

I think the Peugeot 206 is a prime example. How many are those are Chinese roads now, must be thousands. Theres a good half dozen parked outside my apartment - housewife wagons they are.
It's really hard to spot a Peugeot 206 geared with an automatic stick in their home cheese eater's land...:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tiggo said:
It's really hard to spot a Peugeot 206 geared with an automatic stick in their home cheese eater's land...:D
Same for the UK, automatic transmissions are so rare on compacts, and often aren't found until you've reached the executive models. People here seem to have the old views about the transmissions such as their very slow, have high fuel consumption, struggle with hills, and are expensive. For a country where junctions reside by hills, and cars are parked on hilly residential streets, automatic transmissions could really come to benefit.

For China, with all the traffic jams, they could come to great benefit, and would encourage more drivers to the road. I would think that if China was a developed nation, the percentage of cars in China which are automatic transmission should approach the nineties.

·
Registered
121 Posts
at the entry level, i don't think the chinese manufacturers offer many models w/ automatic gearboxes, principally to keep the prices low. this may have changed from the last time i looked seriously at what was on offer (early 2005). i'm sure the taxis are all manual, & the commercial vans. foreign-branded cars are sure to have them especially if they are the higher-end models. do chinese suv's like hover & tiggo have them now?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Pokerface this was an error on my part. Great Wall (Changcheng) and Antonov had signed an agreement back on January 9,2006 but it was only for licensing and development support of the Antonov 6 speed automatic. I had mistakenly thought that Antonov was a manufacturer.
Great Wall backed out of that deal in June 2006 and as you see Antonov proceeded to go elsewhere in China.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am very surprised to see that young Geely was so bold as to go head first into automatics. Reports are that it developed a 3 speed automatic on it's own. I find it hard to believe and wonder if it's a copy of an old technology GM powerglide or Borg Warner and what outside help it got if any. But then again knowing the "can do" (or should I say daredevil) spirit of Geelys leader, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Where am I from? Well I'm a proud American, Pokerface. New York born and bred. Am also a great admirer of Chinese civilization. And I think that the U.S. and China together, can become a heck of a good team in advancing world peace. Some say I'm just a dreamer.
PEACE THROUGH UNDERSTANDING

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you're American, could you tell me something about Wheel 2 Wheel and the sales of the 2-speed AMM Rotrex supercharger? Or are you just interested in Geely and China and not in Antonov?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Afraid I can't help you there Pokerface. My first exposure to Antonov was in its tie ups to China's auto industry.
Of course, like the Chinese, I am interested in any such new technology.

btw besides Geely, Antonov is also working with Loncin Engine in Chongqing on development of a 6 speed automatic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts