China Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geely has been going down hill, in terms of it's prospects, of being a big exporter to the U.S. To me, it seems like Chery is now the best bet. Since I bought Geely stock, it has only fallen and risen within the same 3 or 4 cent range, and this is over 4 months. Also, the executives are always contradicting each other in statements about meeting safety standards, expected American market entrance dates, etc. They are totally falling apart, while Chery got recent massive financial backing from investment genius, George Sorros, and they are beginning to get dealership deals done. The lone bright spot is that Geely came up with their own engine, though they pushed back their entrance date to 2009 after failing tests. Anyone have some new information on Geely????

Last thing, I want to pose the question of what you PERSONALLY believe Geely's chances are of being successful in the U.S., particularly based on what's been going on? As a committed investor in Geely, am I right to be really down on this, and if not, where is areas of optimism for Geely??

p.s.: I'm beginning to think I should have saved my money to put into Chery when they finally get listed...When will they get listed anyways?

·
Registered
481 Posts
In fact even here in Egypt

all people know that geely cars and their whole company is a Toys / Kids games company ..

on the other hand , alot of ppl respect Cherries now .. and the ones who bought them love them .

an geely sales are going down here either ... way down ... while Chery QQs / A11s / A5s are selling like rain .

·
Registered
280 Posts
Geely makes cheap cars, everybody knows that. Cheap in price and cheap in quality.

They really need to focus their energy on R and D and developing a better product, otherwise they're not going to go any further than they have been.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to be a Geely laugher but the latest cars look good, although I haven't ridden in them.

And the earlier ones that you could look at and say 'i can see that will fall apart in months' are actually still running around, I've been in a few fake taxis with 200k plus on the clock and they were ok.

So it might work. I would rather put my money on chery, but as you pointed out, it's not listed so you can't.

So don't be down. But I would say it should be part of your relatively 'long shot' portfolio. I wouldn't put my life savings into it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What's the verdict?

FT what you say about the durability of Geely so far is encouraging for the company. Afterall the jury has been out now since Geely got started just 8 short years ago. Now we are all anxious to get the owners' feedback, something that's going to have a dramatic effect on future sales.

Selling cars is one thing, but it's what happens afterward that really matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts