China Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
The American one looks like some old lady with strange spectacles, and for some reason, a double chin. The Chinese one looks more manly, like a butch model. Though its more conservative in its styling, I prefer the Chinese one over the American one anyday. :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting....

It's fascinating to see both versions "side by side".........and it DEFINITELY reflects the different styles for the different markets (chinese and american). In the USA, Buick has been trying to shed it's "old people's car" image for some years now......the current american LaCrosse is a reflection of that.......curvy lines, should I say even somewhat "euro" in it's styling? Now, compare that to the chinese version of the LaCrosse - Buick has a STRONG image in China, one of luxury and success. The chinese LaCrosse is a nice step-up model from the Regal (for years the Regal has been popular with businessman and lower to medium government officials........up until recently there was nothing to step up to unless it was a Mercedes or BMW)........it gives current Regal owners a nice choice vs. jumping brands and going to Mercedes, BMW - or even possibly Chrysler or Cadillac!! The chinese LaCrosse is bigger, roomier and more luxurious than the Regal.........exactly what Buick wanted for the chinese market. Which one do I prefer? As a driver, I would choose the american version - but if I were a businessman and wanted to be seen in something "stately", I would choose the chinese version!!:cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
the chinese one, just plainly because it dosnt look cheep.
The chinese one seems to have a nice solid big grill that was ment to be there, the american one looks like a round mouth decorated with tinfoil. Chinese version also seems to have more modern and updated head a taillights. and i really hate how the american version's rims look like round plastic with cromed plated.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Buick LaCrosse in US

This interesting article from FastCompany.com follows the story of Joe Qiu, known as "Shanghai Joe" within General Motors where he works at the company's Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC) in Shanghai as a car designer. Qiu and a relatively small, inexperienced team of designers were responsible for the current version of the Buick LaCrosse sold in China (shown above). This year the car is expected to sell 110,000 units in China, while it's counterpart in name only sold just 71,072 units in the U.S. during 2006.

The story of GM's Chinese-based design team is certainly a rags to riches one that will culminate in the next few years with PATAC's designing the world's next Buick LaCrosse, due out in 2008 or 2009. As is the custom at GM these days, design chief Ed Welburn pitted his 11 design centers from around the world against each other for the privilege of penning the next LaCrosse. The favored North American team and the underdog Chinese team were clear favorites with the majority of good ideas, so Welburn chose to have both work on the design. The North American team will handle the exterior, while the smaller Chinese team will design the interior. The Chinese designers, though, will also have significant input on the car's exterior since it's expected that China will quickly be Buick's biggest market worldwide.

We think that's just fine, as we reported last November that the Chinese LaCrosse is way cooler than ours. Indeed, the PATAC team's designs are world class compared to the derivitive and downright ugly designs coming from many of China's young automakers. Will the Chinese market one day set trends for the world market? It's a scary though, but who knows? If Joe Qiu becomes the next Ed Welburn at GM, however, things will likely be alright.

[Source: FastCompany.com]

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Laofan,

Excellent post!

We hadn't heard much about PATAC (Pan Asia Technology Automotive Center est. 1998) following news of its work on the Qilin, Kunpeng and Phoenix concepts but it obviously has not been sitting on its hands.
This LaCrosse, Aveo, and the recently introduced Wuling Hongtu van, apparently are just a few of its acheivements. Since SAIC has a 50% stake in the Center I wonder if its getting a chance to share some of the exceptional talent for its own independent brand development. PATAC was one of Phil Murtagh's brainchilds and so I ld think that now he and SAIC should get to enjoy its fruits too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's what I'd like, graft the front and tail ends from the chinese version onto the US body. Though the chinese body does share some styling cues from the US market Lucerne and that would be a nice touch for Buick, rather than a bunch of models that don't look very related. IMHO, they copied the Ford Taurus too much for the US version.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts