China Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
SV isn't a "concept" — they were building them and selling (or at least trying to sell) them for a couple of years before the unpleasantness of 2005.

They'll also be building and selling TF GT Coupés from mid-2007.

I'd be astonished if we didn't see the Rover 75 coupé productionized as an MG 7Z coupé.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The TF Coupe but with the V6 unit for true GT performance.

However, an MG badged gentleman's express in the form of the 75 Coupe concept but with RWD...

·
Registered
66 Posts
For the damaged MG brand to succeed, you are going to need new products that have absolutely no trace of the doomed MGR operation.

The Nanjing MG TF is going to really struggle to get sales in the UK next to superior and more modern products from other manufacturers. Will the Nanjing MG TF be the only new convertible on sale in the UK that does NOT have the option of an electric hood? (MX5 now has the option of an electric hard top) Who wants to be seen heaving up a canvass hood in a car park? Sorry, but all convertibles have to be super-cool and a manual hood does not cut it in 2007.

The MG 7 (based on the old R75) will look positively archaic if launched in a similar spec to the doomed ZT. Up against the likes of the new Mondeo, this Rover 75 based car cannot hope to compete in the same league. Even SAIC are thinking twice about bringing their copy to Europe.

Even if Nanjing get the prices right, there is (sadly) such a distrustful atmosphere regarding Longbridge products that any initial success has to be viewed with considerable caution.

So the answer to the question is: for European success you need new designs and new thinking. Forget the TF and MG 7 (and related concepts) they are old and unwanted - follow Jaguars lead (with their XF) break the circle and design a new family of MGs.

But have Nanjing got the resources and ability to do that? :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Puppetland said:
The Nanjing MG TF is going to really struggle to get sales in the UK next to superior and more modern products from other manufacturers. Will the Nanjing MG TF be the only new convertible on sale in the UK that does NOT have the option of an electric hood? (MX5 now has the option of an electric hard top) Who wants to be seen heaving up a canvass hood in a car park? Sorry, but all convertibles have to be super-cool and a manual hood does not cut it in 2007.
You never fail, Muppetman, do you?

The TF always had the option of an electric roof. Few people specified it, though, as the roof was so well engineered from day one it was the work of moments to lower and raise it, which can be done one-handed from the drivers seat.

FFS, you SERIAL BLITHERER, you've had YEARS at this schtick, and plenty of time to get your facts right.

It's not NAC-MG, but YOU who needs to raise your game in 2007.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It doesn't always occur to some keyboard experts that the consumer is entitled to their own choice, and if I choose to like the concepts that MG Rover showed, and choose to hope that NAC-MG build them, then that is my business.

Whether it is logical or not, tough - I, along with others, happen to like them. As for the so-called modern offerings I have had the pleasure to drive of late, it only encourages me to stick with I have already, because frankly, apart from loads of electric toys, and so called quality that smacks largely of acres of bland plastic and designers smoking wacky baccy etc, I frankly don't see anything new in modern cars - in fact they're mostly ugly or bland in my opinion. But still the average punter is happy to believe they have bought the latest thing in automtive technology, and willing to pay the price penalty for all this rubbish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Windy said:
:nono:

:nod:
2007 model MX5? :nod:

2007 model Chinese MG TF? :nono:

Seamaster said:
the roof was so well engineered from day one
Is that why the earlier cars leaked like a sieve and it took years to give the TF a proper back window?

Seamaster said:
it was the work of moments to lower and raise it, which can be done one-handed from the drivers seat.
Pushing a button is far easier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Puppetland said:

Hairdressers, no strength! :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
The latest MX5 only has an electric roof on the hard-top version as per the likes of the Peugeot 206CC - the rag top version is still muscle powered. In fact, according to Mazda's own publicity material, the electric version takes longer to raise and lower than the driver powered rag-tops.

Anyway, Rover had an electric rag-top roof on their 200 cabriolet back in 1994, nothing new about electric push button roof tops.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Puppetland said:
Takes longer, weighs more, reduces boot space.

You're always welcome back when you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MartinW said:
Anyway, Rover had an electric rag-top roof on their 200 cabriolet back in 1994,
That somewhat contradicts the expert statement below that flies in the face of the current trend. I mean, every manufacturer is bringing out electric roof mechanisms (hard or soft top) on their convertibles - but not MG. :rolleyes:

Seamaster said:
Takes longer, weighs more, reduces boot space.
Premier convertibles from BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Saab etc. are now fully automatic with no levers to engage or disengage on the windscreen frame. They are slick in operation and look ultra cool when lowered or closed. They are also excellent technology.

Nobody, in 2007, wants to raise their own roof and then struggle to attach it to the windscreen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Puppetland for all you know MG might put an electric motor on, and if they dont does it really matter? so what if a few lazy ppl like yrself dont buy the car just because cant be arsed to manually close a roof. Don't count your chickens until the fox has been.

Anyways I would just like them make the TF so i can actualy fit in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.