China Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been a member of this forum, I have given a lot more thought to how people deal with cars in other countries. Here in the US, seat belts are mandatory by law in most places. What about in other countries?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I, being an American, have been using seat belts all of my driving days(I started driving in the fall of 1975, acquiring my driver's license in August of 1975). I recall driving my Dad's 1963 GMC Jimmy pickup with a 3-speed manual tranny and not wearing a seat belt, ever. I think that was before they were a federal law mandating seat belt usage. Sometime around 1964 or 1965 they became a law. I remember vividly my parent's 1973 Plymouth Gold Duster having seat belts, oh yeah.

And, one of my parent's cars I drove a lot that I would love to have today was my Dad's 1966 VW Fastback. Baby blue and 4-speed manual tranny and, yep, seat belts. I totalled that car and Dad had it rebuilt to specs. I thought my brakes would work fine in the newly fallen Washington state snow in Dec. of 1975. I was showing off for my friend in the passenger seat in a furniture store parking lot. I remember saying "watch this."

I did some doughnuts and came out of the last doughnut gunning the accelerator. Then, I realized I was heading towards a landscaped area and attempted to avoid a collision with the landscaping area by smashing on the little German car's brakes. BAM!! I plowed in to a large boulder and the VW Fastback in baby blue hit the rock and jumped up on top of it, resting there, all broken up in the front end. The horn piece of the steering wheel broke off, I cut my wrist and my friend and I both bumped our heads on the ceiling of the car.

It was still snowing and my friend took his T-shirt off and wrapped up my wrist in it. It didn't need stitches and our sore head-tops were gonna be OK.

Dad took it to a shop and had it repaired, apparently he loved the car as much as I did. IIRC we had our seat belts on, but, I don't know for sure because I don't know if we would've hit our heads on the rooftop if we both had our seat belts on. I have driven since then quite carefully all the way up to the present time. I took that mistake very seriously. I've been in a couple other car accidents since then but none of them my fault. That is my only car accident that was my fault, in my life of driving.

Seat belts, although sometimes annoying, are worth having on and are a good driving habit to get in to.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Truedat, pia watson. I do have this weird habit of putting my seat belt on while I'm just starting off on my journey. It's like I think I'm saving some time that way! I do put seat belts on, though. I've got to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
you only live once: When I go to china at the end of this year, I definitly wanna try racing Jiangling Landwinds against my best friend & brother on the chinese highways without seatbelts. My plan is we get two Landwind SUV's and just start racing & hope the cops dont catch us lol :) Sounds fun right????

·
Registered
28 Posts
I come from Australia and I have used seatbelts all my driving life (since 1973) I just automatically put them on and bitch if they arent there. Although I think they are of dubious use I have seen busses with lap belts. Even my girlfriend now often puts her seatbelt on.
They have saved my life,I believe, twice and probably a third time. In one of those I was stationery by the way -it doesnt stop somethinglarge running in to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts