China Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why don't they copy Ferrari, Lamborghini, Koenigsegg, Porsche, more BMW, more Mercedes, Infinity (Nissan), Lexus (Toyota), Acura (Honda), Subaru?

Just copy those designs! If they don't bother to look at what is selling the most and what the best designs are, then what is the point? Are they trying to fail?

There are so many good luxury and sport cars out there. If you are going to copy, at least copy the best.

I'm confused as to why they choose to copy poor designs. It's not just a small percentage of them, either. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What are your thoughts on this? Feel free to post popular cars in the US that could be copied.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think they should copy anyone. Ferrari, Porsche, et al didn't get to where they are now by making knock offs of some other car. Look at Hyundai. They're finally finding success in the US by using their own good designs. The Azera is way better than the XG350, or whatever that junky Mercedes copy was called.
Chinese car companies need to find an attractive "face", theme, or just a reason for being, and design their cars based on idea.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The other problem is that you can't just built a Ferrari like this, even with cheap material.

Also, I think that Chinese manufacturer are quiet realistic: they won't built something that won't sell.
For example: since nobody buys convertible in China, the Chery M14 and the Byd F8 never went to production.
So, they won't built a supercar. They'll built sedan or SUV instead. I think that ChangAn once spoke of a big coupe, the Red dragon (help me Erik, I can't remember its name) but it also stayed on the shelves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Joest said:
The other problem is that you can't just built a Ferrari like this, even with cheap material.

Also, I think that Chinese manufacturer are quiet realistic: they won't built something that won't sell.
For example: since nobody buys convertible in China, the Chery M14 and the Byd F8 never went to production.
So, they won't built a supercar. They'll built sedan or SUV instead. I think that ChangAn once spoke of a big coupe, the Red dragon (help me Erik, I can't remember its name) but it also stayed on the shelves.
Yes you were right, they publicized the red dragon, 1 or 2 years ago. as part of they local line of products

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Jonathan Joest, in recent years Chang'an had the habit to show a concept at each show, cars they bought from European companies, which never came into production (you only saw them on a show and they disappeared again). These were:
Shanghai 2003: Jiexun (Freedom) a 5-door concept from Idea originally shown in Turin 1996 as Vuscia.
Beijing 2004: Longteng (Chinese dragon) a convertible concept from Keinath introduced as Keinath GT/CC at the Geneva 2000 show.
Beijing 2004: Changjiangxun (Yangze Sturgeon), a coupe concept from Idea.
Shanghai 2005: Yufeng (King Driving Wind), a 5-seat SUV concept from Idea.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I expect that in a couple of years there will be a small market for convertibles in China. Soon there will be a choice between several models: MG TF, BYD F8 (still under development), Chery M14 (still under development) and probably some joint-venture products. At this moment in the big cities (where these cars will be sold) it is no fun to drive in the open, due to the pollution. (it is the same with biking, after a couple of days you get a kind of bronchitis).
There are more coupes under development, and they are also a niche market which will grow soon.

·
Administrator
16,868 Posts
erik (laofan) said:
Jonathan Joest, in recent years Chang'an had the habit to show a concept at each show, cars they bought from European companies, which never came into production (you only saw them on a show and they disappeared again). These were:
Shanghai 2003: Jiexun (Freedom) a 5-door concept from Idea originally shown in Turin 1996 as Vuscia.
Jiexun:

Vuscia:

·
Registered
68 Posts
martin_krpan said:
Longteng:

A little Maserati & Supra in the front, a little Corvette in the rear, but generally not a bad looking car. I'd drive it. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigFatGuy said:
I don't think they should copy anyone. Ferrari, Porsche, et al didn't get to where they are now by making knock offs of some other car. Look at Hyundai. They're finally finding success in the US by using their own good designs. The Azera is way better than the XG350, or whatever that junky Mercedes copy was called.
Chinese car companies need to find an attractive "face", theme, or just a reason for being, and design their cars based on idea.
this thread is not about if they should or shouldn't copy designs. they do. it's a fact and i wanted to talk about that fact.

you can make a note about it, but please don't change the subject! you're welcome to start your own thread and i'll talk to you about that in there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joest said:

i see what you're saying in a way. my thoughts are to just try to copy the shapes and such, not so much the exact designs. they seem to excel at taking a design and making it work with the technology they have to build it.

and that's only speaking for super cars like ferrari. what about sport cars and luxury cars that most people can buy?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Alby13 you are right about the need for Chinese companies to follow the design trends and I think the company seen in this thread, Chang'an Auto, is trying hard to do that. They have cooperated with I.DE.A and set up their own office in Turin. Although their attention-grabbing concept cars are sometimes clearly copies, in the production models they have tried to show some originality. And Chang'an has not tried to hide its affiliation with European designers

I think the copying is not so much a problem as is the copying without imagination. Take the big Japan guys like Toyota and Nissan. They have long been obsessed with BMW and Mercedes designs. But they do not shamelessly copy as does Great Wall, Shuanghuan, and certain others in China. Here are a couple of photos that show the inspiration from BMW for tail light assemblies. As for the Mercedes grille, all the big makers have knocked that off in one way or another. Of course there are so many other examples. But these big guys know where to draw the line before they get in trouble legally. And before they irritate the industry media and other critics.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts