China Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
17,170 Posts
Chery maybe. It all depends on the safety ratings and quality of future models. Design is promising, interior acceptable if the price will be right.

Geely: with today's product line absolutely not. First of all they should hire some established European design studio. They also better increase their R&D budget and stop producing cars on old Daihatsu basis.

We have to take into account that most cars are sold in developed markets. Geely won't become major player by having biggest market share in, for example, Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I can say 100% for Chery based on their history of commitment to quality, hiring Japanese engineers, own most advanced painting systems in the world, strictest quality control in the world , hiring italian designers, invest more and more in R&D and foreign assembly plants to increase its overseas presence, and recently its Chery AC66 speaks for itself, the car is designed based on european standards with 8 airbags and harder steels aimed to achieve at least 4 star in euro crash test, and constant designing of new models. I really have faith in Chery, up until now I believe Chery is the only chinese carmaker that is really learning the mistakes made by the Japanese and the koreans ( I don't know what about other Chinese carmakers), they are not boldly starting out on their own on the american soil. They are collaborating with chrysler to learn more about their quality control,techniques, and their marketing. The Japanese and the Koreans did boldly start out on their own in the american market and they nearly ended up pulling out, so I can see that Chery is really learning the lessons. Chery is really commited to its car quality as it said recently on the news that it is investing more money in R&D determine to shed off the old image of low price, low quality and establish its name in the world stage. And if you look back at Chery's history, it is merely just 10 years old and 6 years ago , it was just an illegal carmaker in China, was trying to stay under government's inspection, but now look at it, it is already present in 50 different countries, although those countries are less competitive and mostly developing countries but this shows what Chery can do in just 4 years, its export sales quadrupled in the first quarter of this year, and its total export sale is predicted to hit 100 000 by the end of this year.

And about Geely, to be dead honest, I don't hear much about geely, and from what i see, Geely is not showing enough commitment and determination like Chery, it still refuses to hire foreign designers or at least design something on its own, and still going around copying other car companies designs, and its quality has not improved that much either. And recently, Geely is rushing itself by looking for a middleman in Israel, which I think can be very detrimental for the reputation of Chinese carmakers in general given the fact that geely is not doing enough on quality and design and it is rushing like this. Overal, I think that Geely is not a serious player all (well that is my opinion, other people have different views :D ) , I believe Chery will be the one that help Chinese automakers shine. If Chery can establish its name in developed countries as well as developing countries as a chines automakers, I believe other Chinese automakers will follow suit and repeat Chery's steps.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO Chery !!!

Don't disappoint your supporter :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
mememe said:
I can say 100% for Chery based on their history of commitment to quality, hiring Japanese engineers, own most advanced painting systems in the world, strictest quality control in the world , hiring italian designers, invest more and more in R&D and foreign assembly plants to increase its overseas presence, and recently its Chery AC66 speaks for itself, the car is designed based on european standards with 8 airbags and harder steels aimed to achieve at least 4 star in euro crash test, and constant designing of new models. I really have faith in Chery, up until now I believe Chery is the only chinese carmaker that is really learning the mistakes made by the Japanese and the koreans ( I don't know what about other Chinese carmakers), they are not boldly starting out on their own on the american soil. They are collaborating with chrysler to learn more about their quality control,techniques, and their marketing. The Japanese and the Koreans did boldly start out on their own in the american market and they nearly ended up pulling out, so I can see that Chery is really learning the lessons. Chery is really commited to its car quality as it said recently on the news that it is investing more money in R&D determine to shed off the old image of low price, low quality and establish its name in the world stage. And if you look back at Chery's history, it is merely just 10 years old and 6 years ago , it was just an illegal carmaker in China, was trying to stay under government's inspection, but now look at it, it is already present in 50 different countries, although those countries are less competitive and mostly developing countries but this shows what Chery can do in just 4 years, its export sales quadrupled in the first quarter of this year, and its total export sale is predicted to hit 100 000 by the end of this year.

And about Geely, to be dead honest, I don't hear much about geely, and from what i see, Geely is not showing enough commitment and determination like Chery, it still refuses to hire foreign designers or at least design something on its own, and still going around copying other car companies designs, and its quality has not improved that much either. And recently, Geely is rushing itself by looking for a middleman in Israel, which I think can be very detrimental for the reputation of Chinese carmakers in general given the fact that geely is not doing enough on quality and design and it is rushing like this. Overal, I think that Geely is not a serious player all (well that is my opinion, other people have different views :D ) , I believe Chery will be the one that help Chinese automakers shine. If Chery can establish its name in developed countries as well as developing countries as a chines automakers, I believe other Chinese automakers will follow suit and repeat Chery's steps.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO Chery !!!

Don't disappoint your supporter :)

People may say I am biased but this is what I observed so far and I would like to share my views, please if you have any other opinions or anything to prove me wrong, please say it :)

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
59 Posts
The answer is "yes", but definitely not this decade and most likely not in the beginning of the next. In order to become a world player, they will need to enter the most competitive, most profitable automotive market in the world - the US car market. Currently, no Chinese car manufacturer produces a vehicle that...

a. would pass the NHTSA
b. incorporates electronic stability control AND side impact airbags
c. uses an engine that can be used in the Green States (California, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc.)
d. has a design/uses materials that would not get them into trouble with US copyrights

I have a feeling, however, that some Chinese car manufacturers will meet all 4 of those standards by around 2011-2012, and from there will begin to gain international recognition. Probably by 2020, a Chinese car manufacturer will be a world player. To say which one is anyone's guess right now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You have to fancy Cherry to make it they seem to be doing the right things. I'd add SAIC and Nanjing MG to that list but the other's I'm not sure about. Brilliance is trying to export but it's exporting poorly built cars for an expensive price. I'd say both Geeley and Brilliance need to sharpen up their act's soon.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I do support Chery, but to be honest at first I really hated Chery because I know what it did to daewoo with its Chery QQ. But after reading its history, I started to understand Chery more, it is really dedicated to quality with its painting system with quality control system and Japanese engineers, and after reading the news about it's hiring foreign desingers for its new model and not copying anymore, its sales keep rocketing at home and abroad (its export quadrupled this first quarter as people know). And it seems to me that Chery really knows what it is doing, unlike other Chinese automakers. Chery at the moment is investing a lot of money into R&D. But seriously people need to look at Chery this way : 6 years ago, Chery was just merely an illegal carmaker in China, but where it is now .Chery is really taking its time with the Chery A6CC, no rushing like Brilliance and made disaster.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
RCtennis3811 said:
The answer is "yes", but definitely not this decade and most likely not in the beginning of the next. In order to become a world player, they will need to enter the most competitive, most profitable automotive market in the world - the US car market. Currently, no Chinese car manufacturer produces a vehicle that...

a. would pass the NHTSA
b. incorporates electronic stability control AND side impact airbags
c. uses an engine that can be used in the Green States (California, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc.)
d. has a design/uses materials that would not get them into trouble with US copyrights

I have a feeling, however, that some Chinese car manufacturers will meet all 4 of those standards by around 2011-2012, and from there will begin to gain international recognition. Probably by 2020, a Chinese car manufacturer will be a world player. To say which one is anyone's guess right now.

I can say to you that there is one Chinese automaker that is really looking into those problems (a,b,c and d) and that is Chery.

a. That is why Chery is working with Chrysler, and not starting out on its own, it wants to learn from Chrysler.

b.Chery A6CC is built based on european standards with 8 airbags an harder steel and aim to achieve at least 4 stars in the crash test.

c. I am not sure about this but working with Chrysler will certainly give Chery some sort of ideas of what it should do with this matter

d. That is why it is hiring Italian designers to design its cars. Chery is even designing its engine (if I am not wrong) and in talk with fiat to supply fiat with Chery made engines.

·
Registered
183 Posts
mememe said:
I can say to you that there is one Chinese automaker that is really looking into those problems (a,b,c and d) and that is Chery.

a. That is why Chery is working with Chrysler, and not starting out on its own, it wants to learn from Chrysler.

b.Chery A6CC is built based on european standards with 8 airbags an harder steel and aim to achieve at least 4 stars in the crash test.

c. I am not sure about this but working with Chrysler will certainly give Chery some sort of ideas of what it should do with this matter

d. That is why it is hiring Italian designers to design its cars. Chery is even designing its engine (if I am not wrong) and in talk with fiat to supply fiat with Chery made engines.

I think I'm with MGrovernut for this although somehow I like chery's car rather than other chinese motors. And the other company rather than SAIC I'm considering is FAW. Because they make the best profit among other chinese autos and they have a partner, where they can learn more tech stuff either. But as I don't know much about this company I'll save the word.

But chery's case is that how they're going to afford for the cost of R&D and the strict quaility assurence while their profit is very small. Their volume of sales is 3rd or 4th in china but where are they standing when it's about the profit? Moreover, where they're going to learn the technology from? Just simply building the new R&D center will improve their technology dramatically?

FAW or SAIC have at least the partnership where they can learn those from and they're actually making the profit which mean they can afford R&D in the long term either.

I heard the word that Hyundai took 20 years but chinese motor will take 10 year stuff. But, in fact, Hyundai was able to do it coz there was Mitsubishi. Without Mitsubish, I don't think Hyundai was able to make it until today.
For example, Hyundai had assembled old version of Misu Pajero for 10 years in korea then they brought their own 4WD car carlled terracan. Then they brought SUV called santa fe. Aftere gaining the tech to build these cars, they were able to bring new santa fe and veracruz and I heard they're planning to bring the next gen of terracan either.

However, does chery have anyone to gain the tech? can they do all by themself? And while chery is spending time for R&D all by themselves, are other competitors not going to do R&D at all?

And also, the world motor industry is very tough. I recently checked the price of toyota corrola of 1997 and 2007 in Australia. Guess what? the 1997 corrola (the entry level one) costed 21999 with 1.6 engine and 5sp man. And the new released 2007? It costs only 20999 with 1.8 engine,6sp man, 2 front airbag, ABS etc...with much more stuff in it.

So, over the decade the car price got even cheaper with more features in it. However, the economic of china is growing very fast, about 10 % per year. Which means chines money is more likely stronger than getting weaker and people's salary is more likely increasing rather than decreasing. In fact, the price gap with Japanese and korean motor is more likely getting closer.

I'm not saying it's impossible for chinese motor to be successful in the world but this will take sometime. They'll need time to improve a car and their brand in oversea. To be able to afford this, they have to make the profit at least from China. So, I think SAIC or FAW is more likely be the one rather than chery for now unless they have a huge success by A3 or A6 next year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Geely

:confused: Geely, what a Pile of rubbish, I was stupid enough to buy what was supposed to be their flag ship. More like the titanic, The Electrical System was built by 2 year olds, that is probably detrimental to 2 year olds, The Engine management system was probably built by some farmer during his break from planting rice, The Breaks are so poor that you are relived when they work at all, the general quality if you could call it quality is so bad it make a mock out quality control. In general it’s the worst car I have ever owned, every one do not buy one of these cars.

Stats, 100k on clock, 25 times in for repair, major electrical problem, the service sucks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Clive said:
The Engine management system was probably built by some farmer during his break from planting rice
So far as I know, there is so far no chinese company producing engine management systems (yet), they all come from internationals such as Bosch, Magnetti Marelli, Siemens etc.

Having said that, there is a lot the automaker can do to mess up the installation and protection of the wiring and parts etc. if they don't get it right.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Chery is certainly looking to get noticed by signing on to build the new Dodge Hornet. Chrysler will be there looking on like doting parents I'm sure.

Wondering about gas mileage for the Hornet and engine size and make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well i agree the, over the years the chinese car market has grown very fast. The car prices compared over the past decade has come down a lot and also given more functions. China is widening their businesses in china and gaining profit. It is also spreading across the global market. Anyone know the price of chery now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts