China Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Nanjings purchase of MG I was wondering if anyone thinks that the Chinese will go after anymore brands. We know for example that SAIC and Nanjing are fighting over the Rover brand. If Nanjing gets Rover will SAIC make an offer for Triumph (which is a much loved old car brand in the UK). Or will they attempt to buy other failing companies? Pontiac for example?

What do people think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doubtful.

BMW owns the rights to Triumph (cars) and won't give them up - they also retained Riley. With the MG-Rover group also go the naming rights to Austin, Morris, and Wolseley. Though these might be good revivals, there's little equity left in these names in England or Europe and there'd be no connection to China.

I suppose a nice luxury car might be marketed as Wolseley-Chinoise, but I doubt such a plan would ever get off the drawing board.

Pontiac, though not doing all that well, isn't an independant company. It's owned by GM and like all the other GM brands, it will stay with GM forever. GM also owns the rights to many other little brands that once played a role in it's history - Scripps-Booth, GEO, LaSalle, Marquette, Oldsmobile, Viking, Oakland (one of the original five and the parent of Pontiac), etc.

There simply aren't any little companies to gobble up. It's far more likely, however, that Chinese companies will start gobbling eachother up as they consolidate into bigger, more powerful companies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chinese companies are probably making plans to purchase GM if and when the go bankrupt, acquiring GM's future designs, R&D centers, technology, distribution networks, and product lines.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
DOS said:
Chinese companies are probably making plans to purchase GM if and when the go bankrupt
the reality is GM is falling, and falling fast, but even if they keep this negative trend, it will take many years for chinese companies to buy out GM since it is just soooooooo big...

·
Registered
547 Posts
This year will be critical for GM but I think they are going to make it. If they survive this year then they have a good chance to recover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts