China Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking Nanjing are using proper BMW/ Rover equipment from the UK to make MG ZT's. MG ZT's had extremely good crash ratings so it's fair to assume that providing Nanjing use the same grade of steel (which they say the will) then it should be just as good. But I'm not so sure about the Roewe 750 from SAIC. Everything on that car is a copy. A bit like the Cherry QQ. The Wheelbase has even been stretched which makes me doubt the integrity of it.

Given the choice of an MG ZT or a Roewe 750 then surely the choice for both the Chinese and Europeans is simple. Go for the ZT it's been properly built and has a proper brand name.

SAIC really are cheap skates. Why didn't they make sure they got Longbridge and the MGR legacy? I hope Nanjing float on the stock exchange. I'm sure they will be China's top car exporter by the end of next year. At which point I think SAIC's management should all be fired for being utterly incompentant.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Everything on that car is a copy. A bit like the Cherry QQ.
The difference being that SAIC is the legal owner of Rover75 design, not Nanjing.

Given the choice of an MG ZT or a Roewe 750 then surely the choice for both the Chinese and Europeans is simple. Go for the ZT it's been properly built and has a proper brand name.
Or SAIC might sue and win 100% at Euro courts should SAIC find that they are losing out to Nanjing version in sales. After all, British patent office registration reads SAIC, not Nanjing, as the legal owner of Rover75 IP.

Why didn't they make sure they got Longbridge and the MGR legacy
Trying to save a few pounds, which backfired. Afterall, SAIC could possibly think that the administrators would sell the remaining assets to Nanjing as long as they held onto Rover25, 75 and K-series IP. But the British "gentlemen" had a few dirty tricks of their own.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real_I_hate_china PwC were the ones responsible for breaking MG up. At the time they were extremely confident that the IPR's to the MG designs was not sold to SAIC. PwC are the world's number one firm of Lawyers and Accountants, so I know who I trust on this one. In addition ARUP also advised Nanjing on the sale and their Lawyers gave them the green light too!

So SAIC were sold some blueprints to the Rover 75 at the time I understood that the deal did not include International marketing of the car. So all in all I really dumb deal by SAIC. Especially allowing Nanjing to come in and get all the key assets.

As for who I trust to build the cars properly then it has to be Nanjing as they have managed to get hold of some very advanced technology. For example the Rover 75 uses some very complex BMW patented robotics to build the body shells. What are SAIC planning to do, glue the cars together with Solvite?

Nah sorry but I simply don't trust SAIC to be able to build this car as well as Nanjing and there is no way on God's green earth that I'm going to buy a wanabe Rover which is called Roewe or wrong way or what other cruddy name they want to call it.

By the way Roewe 750? Can they call it the 750 isn't that name owned by BMW? I hope they sue!

·
Registered
469 Posts
mgrovernut said:
I hope they sue!
Its going to get expensive for SAIC, with Ford also talking to their lawers at present!

And with them wanting to export, the Chinese authorities will enforce the laws, their goverment does not want to be in trouble with the WTO.

mgrovernut said:
So SAIC were sold some blueprints to the Rover 75 at the time I understood that the deal did not include International marketing of the car. So all in all I really dumb deal by SAIC. Especially allowing Nanjing to come in and get all the key assets.
Maybe thats why we haven't seen their R25 yet - maybe they are having to design it from scratch so that they will have something to export! The goverment will hand their export license to someone else if they don't manage some exports soon, there are plenty of other companies who would be delighted to have it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts