China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: XiaoPeng Identy X (HMA7000S60BEV)

"..till....approval for the project is granted by NDRC,..."

So perhaps Xiaopeng will be number sixteen to receive the coveted license to produce NEVs.
Or, will it piggyback on the license of FAW Haima?
Haima itself needs a morale boost about now since, like FAW Xiali, its sales are falling off.
Let's see how the latest FAW restructuring will affect these two struggling subsidiaries.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: XiaoPeng Auto

......... On one hand, the thing I find puzzling about the current Chinese auto industry is that whenever there is news of a new company getting into making cars (LSEV, NEV whatever), the media always mention a "production base" that is coming up in that context. On the other hand, perusing production stats, most local manufacturers (barring some large foreign JVs) nowadays seem to be producing far below their installed capacities, sometimes only a few dozen vehicles per month. I wonder why these capacities are not better utilized by teaming up with newcomers, since that would reduce the complexity for the latter of hunting for a license (it can be done at leisure once your contract program is up) and much of the machinery (model-specific tooling aside) is already installed.....
In an article recently published in the newspaper "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung", we read that Li Shufu seems to agree with the "teaming up" that you suggest D Mitra.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-04/16/c_137115594.htm

Years ago I remember wondering myself why the light truck makers in the town of Baoding, never chose to collaborate for the benefits that it can bring. Finally the smaller competitors of Great Wall Auto: Zhongxing, Tianma, Dadi, Xinkai have almost all faded into the sunset. It seems that at this stage of the industry's development, Chinese carmakers don't see any advantage in such cooperation as it might reduce the spoils, of subsidies, etc..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts